The Eternity Screensaver plays animations of raytraced scenes which took days or even weeks to generate. The reasoning is that these clips should look more impressive than anything which can be generated on-the-fly. It is currently only available as packages for Ubuntu Linux.
New! Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 Packages
Packages are now available for Ubuntu Hardy 8.04. Please see the updated download instructions for details.
Eternity consists of a main package called eternity-screensaver and a number of plugins which add more animations:
The following people and projects made this possible:
- Design, rendering, packaging and coding by Garry Parker.
- Default plugin based on "Glassthing" by Christoph Hormann, as included in the POV-Ray examples package.
- Eternity uses an MPEG2 player based on the mpeg2dec decoder shipped with the electricsheep screensaver.
- POV-Ray was used to render the images and animations.
- KPovModeler is a GUI frontend for POV-Ray. It was used to construct some of the images.
- Rune's Particle System was used to render the fire.
- All coding and rendering was done using software available on Ubuntu Linux.
- Friedrich A. Lohmueller's shapes_lo.inc library was used to help with defining torus segments.
- Norman Feske's wiresphere image is used in the banner for this site.
Help improve this project.