7 thoughts on “MythTV Guide Comments”

  1. I have been fighting the “Mythtv cannot connect to the database” problem for years and the only working solution I have found yet is to use mythbuntu. I have tried to install mythtv on various desktops but invariably run up against this problem and I can’t find any good answers on the web. It’s as though there is some kind of initiation ritual that all the cogniscenti want you to go through and there is a pact not to reveal the answer to anyone. Is there an answer to this or is it a “SECRET”?

    My current effort is on Mint 16 and I am hitting the same stone wall. Per your suggestion: sudo cat /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
    cat: /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt: No such file or directory.

  2. Gary
    I’m not sure I’m leaving this in the right place, but it seems the only one I can find. Some years back you helped me through my first Myth installation, I’ve done a few since then. One problem that has always bugged me is getting Winsows Media Player to access Myth servers. It was always able to see the server but not find the appropriate share to access recorded TV. A few days ago a failed software installation on one of my Windows boxes forced me to run a repair on the Windows 7 system. I subsequently discovered that Windows Media Player properly recognised the Myth Server and displayed and played the Recorded TV as it would native Windows files. I’ve since discovered that any Windows 7 computer that doesn’t connect properly to a MythTV back end can be made to work by a thorough update. Not a clue which update fixes the Myth problem there’s too damned many to go through, but it’s definitely worth a try if it sits there forever saying “opening media source”.
    Thanks for past help
    John Williams

  3. Hi Garry,
    You’re on your third MythTV box! I’m still playing with the Pundit-R :) though I think I have had a DIMM fail on me. memtest86+ is currently testing the other DIMM. Should I buy a replacement, don’t know really MythTV doesn’t like running on 256MB does it…

  4. I have been trying to find a solution to transfer my old recordings to a new “low power machine” but I refused to transfer the database, mostly because I am reorganising the dvb-s2 cards (I have 5 cards, all different…. a long story). Cards are hooked onto a toroidal dish and setting them up is a big task. However, I didn’t want to lose my old recordings. Your script is magic!!!
    Many thanks.

  5. So, after using mythtv for 2 or 3 years (and finding this web site very useful) I took a break from mythtv whilst I spent 18months renovating a new house. Over the years using mythtv has been almost more of a hobby than anything else as it seems that there is always something going wrong with it but for 6 months everything seemed to have settled down, the remote worked, mythwelcome/wakeup worked and my wife was finally happy to use it. Over the last 18 months my version of ubuntu had gone out of support and I wanted to be able to access HD terrestial TV so I decided to do a clean install and to use a new TBS TV card. I expected a few problems but figured that I had learnt enough lessons to sort them out.
    A month later I am almost back to a reasonably stable setup !
    I decided to base the installation on mythbuntu so went ahead and installed the latest version. Using on-line references I down-loaded the TBS drivers. Two weeks later after numerous attempts to get my system to play with the TBS drivers I finally got them compiled and initialised using a combination of fixes suggested by others (this included removing the card, compiling the drivers, shutting down the pc, re-installing the card and then rebooting…!)
    During the mythbuntu installation I went along with all the defaults including leaving the IP addresses as By then the system was working more or less OK but I wanted to use mythmote as the remote control and this required the IP addresses to be set to the local address in the FE and BE. Mythtv does not like having its IP addresses changed ! I finally solved the ‘Cant find the backend database’ messages (again much use of google) by locating all the instances of the config.xml files (of the 4 versions I found I have no idea which one actually does anything) and changed localhost and references to my local IP address. Finally (a day later) my FE was able to find my BE again. A rather bizarre side effect of this was that most of my previous config entries (including theme) in both the BE and FE had disappeared and had to be re-entered.
    I find it very disappointing that little progress seems to have been made in making mythtv more user friendly, if anything it has become more complex and judging by the remarks of mythtv developers in the various forums they seem to think that there is nothing wrong and its all the users fault. I’ve stuck with Mythtv for quite some time but the time is coming when I see myself thinking its really not worthe the trouble. I’d be interested in the comments of others on this forum as I know that Gary has been a good champion of mythtv and, in fact, his web site got me interested in the project at the beginning.

  6. I don’t excite always by reading blog posts. But in your blog I find something that implies in blogging. Anyway, you’re unquestionably a great blogger and you have a skill to make your reader to keep reading your blog again and again. Keep up the magnificent work. Continue moving the people! This is one of the very interesting posts. Because I am new in blogging and I require great instructional exercise like your post.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

+ one = 6

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>