So, my DVB-S card is working fine in myth, but I have one very annoying problem – some of the channels are missing. Whether I do a scan with the DVB “scan” utility or mythtv-setup, it can never find BBC HD, plus the other channels on the same transponder. The list of channels I get are here:
I got the “BBC HD” channels.conf entry from a nice chap on UbuntuForums, but when I try to tune to that using mplayer, I get:
$ mplayer dvb://"BBC HD"
MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.3.2 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+ (Family: 6, Model: 10, Stepping: 0)
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.
Playing dvb://BBC HD.
dvb_tune Freq: 10847000
Not able to lock to the signal on the given frequency, timeout: 30
dvb_tune, TUNING FAILED
ERROR, COULDN'T SET CHANNEL 0: Failed to open dvb://BBC HD.
Exiting... (End of file)
I’ve checked the cable and it’s direct from the LNB.
The dish is quite old (was on the house when we moved in a year ago), so my next plan is to change the LNB for a new quad version.